Sunday, September 09, 2007

Professing to be wise


"Professing to be wise, they became fools" Romans 1:22


Have you ever heard the saying "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."? (I think Mark Twain said this one) Unfortunately, I think we all have this fault now & then. Some may call it verbal diarhea, word vomit, foot-in-mouth etc. But sometimes we just say things that really make us look STUPID!


And sometimes we just can't help it. Sort of like embellishing the truth, or telling a great tale. When the response is so good, why can't we stop there? Some of you can, sometimes, I can't. And so I keep talking, maybe make up a part or two to make it more interesting. Hey, perhaps its my creative side. It would have been better if it happened that way... or something like that. But if you exaggerate too much, often you end up getting caught in your 'embellished truth' and the story listener may think 'foul'.


But how much worse is it when Christians appear stupid. Some of us can go on & on, spouting how great & godly we think we are. Verbalizing our wisdom & holier-than-thou perfection but the careful (and sometimes not so careful) observer can see right through us. Wisdom in one's own eyes is just that - you only appear wise to yourself but the big giant FOOL to everyone else who is seeing you say one thing and do another. Or if you aren't following through with what you say, you are also ruining precious words. Words that should be filled with love and TRUTH, not embellished with honey but stinking of mold! So if we sugar coat something to make it smell sweet, but the actions are foul, it is the rotteness that the world will see and we will be fools!


Speak truth! Follow through! Don't embellish. Love only!

15 comments:

  1. oh my! now there's the challenge!

    Ya gotta love that pic, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Can we say ADORABLE PIC? :)~G

    www.xanga.com/crafttealady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay got the message! Yes, I agree with Carol-ann--that will be a challenge!

    I responded to your comment about riding with your husband...come over a second...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miss Becks

    Visiting, visiting. Miss you. Kinda discouraged re: Church, Faith right now. Not that we'll be missed. Just feeling sorry for myself. As we are told to do, I'll just - get over it, I suppose, though I'm feeling a little hurt and angry bout it all. Please pray to remove the bitterness from my heart. Its getting in the way of my walk at the moment. Fanks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beck, you're right. Seems we're on the same wave length so to speak.

    And like you said, speaking the truth does not include embellishing the truth, I agree, so hard for a storyteller... but so necessary when it comes to being honest. Thanks for the reminder and oh, cute picture of you two - LOL! That was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timely reminder of words of wisdom. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Timely reminder of words of wisdom. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most certainly good points to consider and think about! Nice faces by the way! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post and so very true, I think it is something evven the best of us struggle with from time to time in one way or another, it is definately something to work hard to not do in even the smallest unintentional way. LOve the pic too, bet you enjoyed posing for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Verbal diarhea is what I call it and it is gross...love the pic LOL

    Got back last night from Chicago...Grandma Pearl was sooooo happy that all her family came to celebrate....She is such a humble saint...wish I lived closer...the whole family is Christian...I did find myself coveting at times...my family is not like that at all......

    Nice to be back but missing the Christian fellowship....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good word! Love your blog, I'll be back :)

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must say, convicting words. We have to remember Who we're representing don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this disease too. Have to be careful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good stuff Wolfe! Really good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. guilty! i do try, but sometimes....

    ReplyDelete