Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Captivating



"We think you'll find that every woman in her heart of hearts longs for three things: to be romanced, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, and to unveil beauty. That's what makes a woman come alive." ~ quote from Captivating

I'm sitting a bit beside myself this morning reading through this book that I borrowed from my sister-in law. My husband has read the 'man' version of this book by John Eldredge "Wild At Heart" and so when I saw that my sis had the 'woman' version, written together by John and Stasi I asked to borrow it.

The reason I am so amused this morning is that just over the weekend, I changed my blog header to the three things that I seek to love in life "Adventure, Beauty, and God" and here it is, the essence of this book is what they say is at the essence of every woman's heart!

I'm glad that I can be confident that my desires are at the heart of women everywhere.

As the book describes, we women are constantly battling against guilt! Guilt to do more, be more, clean more, cook more, volunteer more, host more, help more. More, more, more! Of being 'not enough' and 'too much' at the same time.

"Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy. The result is Shame, the universal companion of women. It haunts us, nipping at our heels, feeding on our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone."

Now I'm just starting to read this book but I can see already that I could quote every other line as being truthful & inspiring.

So, my woman friends that actually read this blog, I encourage you to peek into your church library or your public library and pick up this book & read it along with me. And if you already have read this, share with me what you thought.

7 comments:

  1. Melinda8:00 AM

    Becky, I am going to get this book today - or tommorrow at the latest! I'm so glad you're blogging again. And may I add that this morning especcially, I was feeling rather "off" mentally, facebook and other stuff didn't do it for me and I thought, I'll just look and see if Becky's blogged anything recently becasue she ussually has something to change my outlook - lo and behold! There you are and yes you have! :) Thanks for that...you do now blog in vain my freind!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Borrowing the book from mom today!! Love you friend!!!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this book. It sounds really good. May go by the used book store see if they have a copy. I like your new layout.
    Blessings,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. melinda8:17 PM

    I meant you do NOT blog in vain lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what does the other book say about men?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, and my Mr. just got the 5 Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman.

    I could not agree with you more, Becks. I had just been wrestling with this guilt thing too. Fact is, we cannot do it all and even at our best we will for sure miss 'someone' or something. So, I've been giving it up to the Lord, first thing each day, and though I do NOT get my list all ticked off, I seem to get what has to be done, done. And often, I'll find that the Lord has directed my day in just such a way that there were other blessings thrown in that I know I would not have otherwise noticed or followed.

    Loved your visit. I keep seeing little hands scrinching for the "m & m's" through the window :)

    Wishing you a sunshiney inspired weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read this years ago and enjoyed it too. It was one of the ideas that inspired me in 2006 to name my blog, Adventurous Living - because that's what we are doing when we live the life that God has given us, right? Life is full of dangers and risks, but God is in control, leading us every step of the way through the valleys and the mountaintops.

    ReplyDelete