Thursday, January 14, 2010

Greater


"He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." 1 John 4:4


I'm still reading This Present Darkness this week, as time allows. And I think it has been a very good way to start my year. Not only has it got me thinking about prayer constantly, but it really has made me aware of the spiritual battle that is constantly going on around us.

And while its not a new concept to me, I'm really starting to discover how OFTEN in the Bible we are told to be aware of it, to pray for intercession and reminded that we have the power & authority to do something about it and be involved.

While I've spent many moments in dark days of the past clinging to verses about God's protection on me, I seem to skip over the verses about the enemy's hold & dominion on this world and how we are to be fighting against it.

I'm reminding, reading this book, that God has given us the Holy Spirit so that we have the authority WITHIN us, far greater that we often realize to rebuke, withstand, cast out, resist the evils of this world.

Day by day I'm going to be trying to find these verses and learn them to remind myself that we are not only gifted with this great authority & power, but that we are asked to use it wisely. This will go hand in hand with my desire for prayer this year as I learn to pray in ways we are asked to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Beck! Is the photo of something very local to you? It is lovely!~G

    www.xanga.com/crafttealady
    crafttealady AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its just up the hill a bit from Osoyoos. A lovely spot to take pix in all seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny, since we visited and you cued me that you were reading this book I've come across another wonderful book. I'm marking out some passages to share and will save the book out for you for when you finish your present one.

    I agree with G. - your photo is lovely. Sometimes less is more.

    Thinking of you today,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete