Monday, January 08, 2007

A Life In My Hands

Beautifuls smiles in Lushoto, Tanzania

After yesterday's post, I spent a great deal of time thinking about Africa. I poured over the headlines of what's been happening over there & searched through the most recent archives to see if there has been some good stuff too, and not just all the bad. Things like the New UN Deputy is from Tanzania, and the opening of Oprah's school for girls in South Africa. But most of the news has been bad...or else it isn't news for the big headliners.

Last November, when we were building our Shoeboxes, hubby & I talked about sponsoring a child in the new year. So last night I poured over the World Vision Canada & Compassion Canada websites, trying to decide how to go about it & which one would be the best. I looked at hundreds of little photos of children in need of sponsorship from all over. So many choices. How do you choose one child & ignore all the rest? And then, its like I have a life in my hands, where my donation may make a personal difference in his or her life. It feels like such a big responsibility, on who to choose & where & why.

So, all I have decided so far is that I want the child to be from Africa because that's where I feel the most connected with, but that still gives me many many children to choose from. But first, I must pick which organization.

This is the tougher part because they both seem like they are doing fantastic things. I've been recommmended to both. They both cost the same, and they are both Christian based. I guess I'll be doing some more research. If anybody reading this has any insight for either of these, please let me know.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.~Matthew 18:5

“Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.” ~Mark 9:37

Defend the poor and fatherless;Do justice to the afflicted and needy. ~Psalm 82:3


2 comments:

  1. I have no fact based opinion on eith one but I will comment on one statement you made regarding how can you help one when there are so many others you cannot ignore.

    As much as your heart wants to help all african children, it is something that has to be done by hundreds if not thousands of concerned people such as yourself. If the world was blessed with thousands of you, African children would be in a lot better state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky... came across this in my Chapters book order today. A flyer with the following web site... I thought you might find it interesting. www.unhcr.ca/emergency.

    ReplyDelete