Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Even the demons believe...

"You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe - and tremble!" James 2:19


I have the book "Lord Foulgrin's Letter's" by Randy Alcorn by my bed. Because I've read it before, its the sort of book I can easily pick up & flip open to any chapter to have a short read before I go to sleep. (If you have read C.S. Lewis' book "Screwtape Letters" it is written much the same way but with a more modern time line)

Anyways, there is a line that I was reading the other night, and it has stuck in my head until now. It is said in a letter by the head demon Lord Foulgrin to his apprentice demon Squaltaint in regards to one of the main characters becoming a Christian... "Not all is lost, Squaltaint. The next best thing to a damned soul is a neutralized one."

How many neutral Christians are out there that he is referring to? The ones that call themselves Christians because they have been 'saved' but their living witness to the 'unsaved' stinks! Or, they have no witness at all. Accepting Christ was one of those things they did once & have never made a change in their lives since.

What is this thing we call ourselves anyways? Christians? Some of us from the church were discussing this because many people use the term so lightly when most of us should not be using it at all. Literally, it means Christ-like. Can I look within myself & say I'm Christ-like? Not even close. I want to be Christ-like. I strive to be...but I'm far from achieving. So maybe Christ-follower is more the term we should be saying. But then, if we are saying that to those who ask...how are we living it? Do our very lives show us striving to be like Christ? Are we setting a negative example? or even worse...do we have no example at all. There is no indication that we are following Christ, not to others and not even to ourselves.

No, the demons in the book are right...becoming a Christian isn't the end for their spritual battle in our souls... just the strategies change. So, its not hard for people to call themselves Christians. Its not hard for people to say they believe in God. Even the demons believe that. Its striving to become Christ-like that will separate us from those who say it and those who live it!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa Beck! Miles and I were JUST DISCUSSING this very thought - about even Demons belieiving... because of a discussion w/ a friend... Thanks for your insight on this... does make me ponder.

    I too, miss you. We've been hiding 'in' as well, finishing up the last of the web-ugh-stuff. Perhaps will get to sneak together sometime... will keep you posted.

    Miss yerz.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those demons do believe, but they have never and can never receive Christ as Savior. Praise God that even when we fail, He never does. He lovingly draws us back to Him, calling us, beckoning us to follow... we can never lose what Christ has won. I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here they are called nominal Christians.Just go to church and do the social thing that 's all.In India everybody has to have a religion whether you believe or not. Praise God He saved us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a neutralised soul - I like that sounds like chemistry stuff

    ReplyDelete