Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Purpose Day 1: It All Starts With God

So today is the first day of Lent and the first day of reading The Purpose Driven Life!  Chapter 1 is titled "It All Starts With God".

I've read this chapter a couple times now because in its simplicity, the message within is hurling rocks at my head trying to get me to remember "Its Not About Me". 

Some quotes that stood out to me today:

"The search for the purpose of life has puzzled people for thousands of years. That's because we typically begin at the wrong starting point - ourselves. We ask self-centered questions like What do I want to be? What should I do with my life?..."

"You won't discover your life's meaning by looking within yourself."

"You must begin with God"

"...life is about letting God use you for his purposes"

"God is not just the starting point of your life; he is the source of it."

While we sit here on the cusp of making another majour life decision, we keep asking ourselves, What do we want? Where do we want to go? etc. We are so bombarded and overwhelmed with the decisions that WE need to make, and while we beg & plead for God to show us His will, I guess what we have been asking is Please reveal to us what we want so we know its from you. But I'm thinking now that we're asking the wrong questions.

We have wars in Libya in our face all day long, earthquakes here, flooding there and recession everywhere. Its not hard to become caught up in the world's problems and wonder where we fit into it. Where are our reminders that life is about living for God, not ourselves? How can we step back without feeling callous to what's going on in the world to ask God where he will have us fit in to the grand picture?

Its Not About Me... so this is my journey to find out what it is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment