Thursday, March 24, 2011

Purpose Day 13: Worship That Pleases God

God wants all of you.

Not just our hearts, not just our minds, not just our spirits, not just our bodies... all!

God is pleased when our worship is accurate.
God is pleased when our worship is authentic.

I know that everyone worships God in different ways, but there are still some "rules" as to what qualifies things as worship - repetitions & an empty heart just mouthing the words, or mentally checked out... those are neither accurate nor authentic. If we aren't worshipping with all of ourselves, we aren't worshipping.

Worship is your spirit responding to God's spirit.

I like that! As we are reminded that worship is NOT about ME, its our natural reaction to God, its something we must WANT to do, that comes out of us in response to God's awesomeness, his greatness.

There are many ways people draw near to God, because we are each unique individuals.

In his book "Sacred Pathway", Gary (Thomas) identifies nine of the ways people draw near to God:
(maybe you can find the one that you identify with the most)

"Naturalists are most inspired to love God out of doors, in natural settings.
Sensates love God with their senses and appreciate beautiful worship services that involve their sight, taste, smell, and touch, not just their ears.
Traditionalists draw closer to God through rituals, liturgies, symbols, and unchanging structures.
Ascetics prefer to love God in solitude and simplicity.
Activists love God through confronting evil, battling injustice, and working to make the world a better place.
Caregivers love God by loving others and meeting their needs.
Enthusiasts love God through celebration.
Contemplatives love God through adoration.
Intellectuals love God by studying with their minds."

Which one jumped out at you? The first definitely defines my personality. I LOVE being outside, surrounded by peaceful nature. I get overwhelmed with God's awesomeness when surrounded by his creative beauty. I wonder sometimes if that's why I can get depressed & feel distant from God at certain times of the year. Or even if I stay in one place too long. If I can't get outside into that reflective beauty, or if the beauty gets old to me, I know I start feeling stagnant. I know thats how I"m feeling right now, up north, because the cold & snow has kept me indoors. Not that I don't find beauty in snow, but I can't go somewhere new & quiet & surround myself with it, with God. And back where we used to left, the places I found still & beautiful seemed unspecial after being in them a million times. I was seeking a new natural setting in which to meet with God. I hope our next life adventure allows me to find these places again, but in the mean time, I am trying to meet God in new ways & new locations as common as my livingroom. However, I still crave to be out in some wild beauty with every fibre of my being.

You don't bring glory to God by trying to be someone he never intended you to be. God wants you to be yourself.

Well, "Be Yourself" is a phrase that has been hurled at us since we were old enough to understand it. And it stands true in our relationship with God. You may admire other Christians, but you were never intended to be anyone but you and that's the YOU that God loves & seeks.

God is please when our worship is thoughtful
-> If worship is mindless, it is meaningless.

God is pleased when our worship is practical
-> Real worship costs. You cannot exalt God and yourself at the same time. Its not always convenient or comfortable.

We shouldn't worship to be seen by others, or even to please ourselves. Its all about God.

1 comment:

  1. VERY insightful and inspiring! I am so glad you are blogging on this topic because it gets me thinking too. Thanks for sharing, Becky.

    ~ Barb

    Will send you a real email too one day soon, I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete