Sunday, March 20, 2011

Purpose Day 9: What Makes God Smile?

Its interesting that when I read this one yesterday I was having a little pity party for myself. I was having one of those 'lip-out - woe-is-me - I - only-want- my-way' sort of moments and I was feeling blue. Funny how the reading was about making God smile!

The smile of God is the goal of your life. Ooops, couldn't even focus on making myself smile let alone God.

God smiles when we love him supremely.
      God made you to love you, and he longs for you to love him back.

All the examples from today's chapter referred to Noah - the one person loving & obeying God. Can you imagine our world getting SO BAD that there is only ONE godly person left on the planet. Heaven help us if it ever gets that bad again!

God smiles when we trust him completely... having faith that he knows what is best for your life.

I have a hard time with the 'completely' part. I'm so selfish that I want to trust him, but I know I definitely hold back where I think I have control. My pity party for example, is me not trusting at all. Me being bugged that I'm not getting my way in MY time frame.

God smiles when we obey him wholeheartedly.

Noah is a great example for this one. Build a giant ark nowhere near the sea? Ok Lord! Because its going to rain? Ok Lord (hmm, I wonder what rain is)  Get two of every animal? Sure! (what the heck is a platypus?)    He had total obedience even though I'm sure his faith may have waivered over the 100+ years of building this giant boat and being teased by everyone in sight, including likely his family. Oh to have faith & obedience like Noah did!

God smiles when we praise & thank him continually.

Ooops, another epic FAIL here. Whining & snivelling in my pity party... making a big deal out of SUCH a small deal... should have just been thanking God for all the blessings I DO have in the moment (and there are lots) instead of the one I was wishing for.

God smiles when we use our abilities.
God also gains pleasure in watching you enjoy his creation.

This makes me happy to know that God is happy when we are enjoying his creation. I'm such a lover of being outside in beauty, in the wilderness, in a valley, on a mountain, by a lake or on the edge of an ocean. There is so MUCH beauty that he made for us and when I can be surrounded by it is when I feel closest to God.

So, while my faith & obedience isn't as big as Noah's yet, I DO desire to make God smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment