Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Seeking Adventure?

Flying over Greenland - Photo by Jen Warkentin (my mom)

"If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me." Psalm 139:9-10


There are still some pretty remote places on this planet. But true wilderness, land untouched and undiscovered is getting to be a rare thing. Someone somewhere has a goal to be the first to see it, the first to walk on it, climb up it or swim under it. Deep jungles and rugged lands used to be a mystery, something that only National Geographic showed us and very few would venture into. Travelling to Antarctica had suddenly become trendy. Trekking the Himalayas is on many people's "Top Ten" lists. If there is somewhere on this planet you want to see, there is a tour operator waiting for you.


Of course, not everyone is meant for adventure. And not everyone longs for adventure. Or certain kinds of adventures. Though I love photos of the blue iceburgs of the Arctic Circle, penguins in Antarctica and Himilaya trekking, I don't think I'm meant for a COLD adventure. Unless I can greatly improve the circulation to my extremeties, my fingers and toes always get cold first leaving me uncomfortable, even with the proper gear. So for now, I'm convinced I should stick to warm weather adventuring.

Me - Rhinos - Zambia

I have to say, I'm a little bit glad that there is still a mystery surrounding the depths of our oceans. With so much water on this planet, there is still much to be discovered underneathe its depths. Every year there are announcements of newly discovery sea creatures, both large and small. Might be a blip in a headline or hit the back half of a newspaper. A few people see it and think "oh, that's neat." and the rest carry on without a care about the discovery.


It always brings me back to the verse, "This great and wide sea, in which are innumerable teeming things, living things both small and great." Psalm 104:25 "Innumerable" always stands out at me, like a message that we aren't ever going to know the diversity of life under the sea. I've tried snorkelling a couple times and then I took a few scuba diving lessons in Africa. I was blown away! Swimming along underwater and being able to breathe is a fantastic experience, very surreal the first couple times. I couldn't believe the things I saw in my few short times. It was fascinating. I felt like I wasn't even on earth because I was seeing such new & amazing things. Not unseen by people before but a new discovery for me in somewhere that was formerly 'remote' to my way of thinking.


Scuba lessons in Malawi - Me on the left


I think there are still more adventures in store for my future and I wish them for you too. Discovering something 'new to you' about this planet can be an amazing experience. When I think of how God created this planet for us to discover I am reminded that there are no remote places to go that He isn't there with us. And I think it brings Him great joy to see us take pleasure in these discoveries. From the remotes of the Arctic, to the depths of our oceans, find something new that amazes you, even if its being fascinated by the leaves in your own backyards.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Becky - how I AGREE with you fully! I remember the first times Miles and I saw Yellowstone Nat'l park and the bubbling hot pots and geysers. I remember seeing this big, burly biker looking at a hot pot and all he could say was "Dang!" - there is so much for us yet to discover, and it makes us appreciate the diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if man will ever journey to the centre of the earth or close to it? I think that once the surface has been totally discovered and the seas have been mapped, below ground would be an interesting place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:04 PM

    Hunting season, in the bush, whenever I am walking around looking for some small innocent bird to shoot, I always think that I am in an area only inhabited by nature itself,lots of undiscovered land right between the many roads we travel on, even that is exciting to explore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb - I think seeing a geyser could impress just about anyone. I hope to see one also one day!

    Dave - interesting thought - I wonder what we would find deep within the rock. Do you think it would get progressively colder, like many caves, or progressively warmer towards the core? Hmm. Remember what happened when the dwarves dug too deep! *grin*

    Ma - Fall is my fave time of year for exploration also. Couple that with the anticipation of fresh grouse stew and no wonder its my fave time of year!

    ReplyDelete