Monday, May 21, 2007

Wine Valley: Proverbs 20


"Wine is a mocker, intoxicating drink arouses brawling, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise." Proverbs 20:1


To drink or not to drink? The proverbial debate of Christians of all denominations. Some have no problems with it, some forbid it, others are intolerant & some take part in secret.

One way or another it is a personal choice & if it goes with or against your personal convictions that is not for someone else to judge.


I live in Desert Wine Country. I love it here. There are wineries on every hill. The growing conditions in this valley are ideal for award winning wines. Before I moved here I had never tasted a wine I enjoyed so I just decided I didn't like it. But I found a world beyond dry Chardonnay existed and have since found many wines that I enjoy. I went through a time in my past where I was totally against drinking for myself and I judged those who did. This put up walls between myself & those who I could potentially be a positive example to. It was the wrong approach.

Though I often enjoy a glass of wine these days, I still understand the negative effects that drunkenness can bring on. Alcoholism is a serious addiction that affects not just the alcoholic but their family & friends. I don't believe this verse of proverbs means that one shouldn't drink but its implying that a wise person will not allow the drink to cause intoxication. I know there are many arguments for or against this & I'm not looking to start a debate, I just wanted to say that from experience, I know we arent to judge based on choices other people make because that can do more damage than good.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree. Matters of the heart are ultimately more important than some of the things we do on the surface.

    I will have a glass of wine once in a while at dinner, but I won't read Harry Potter. Explain that one! We all have things we are sensitive to, and many times its because of an experience we've had in the past.

    ReplyDelete